Topic

By: MalithS

Uneven wear on front brake discs

Content is edited

Hi,

I was looking around under the car yesterday and noticed that the inner surface of the front discs were showing a lot of pitting and eneven wear. The outside however shows normal even wear. I took some photos of the outside and inside. Does this look normal ? Should I be ordering new pads and discs? I have my MOT coming up next month.

http://img806.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=inside1t.jpg

MalithS

Replies

1. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

Had the same with mine.

Posted: Mar 20 2011 By: Titus   Posts: 5307
  2. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

That is the "normal" way they wear, you may find they highlight it for corrosion on the inner surfaces.

I think it is the way the pushing piston forces contact the disc through the pad, on the outside the pulling motion gives a better sweep area, that sems the logical answer to me at least.

I am sure somebody else with a physics qualification could explain it better.

Posted: Mar 20 2011 By: Peter   Posts: 394
  3. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

Thanks for the replies. So I guess I dont have to worry about discs and pads before it goes in for its MOT then? I was about to order a set from MX5parts which are on offer these days to make sure in case I have problems at the MOT.

MalithS

Posted: Mar 20 2011 By: MalithS   Posts: 125
  4. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

20/03/2011 11:59:53, MalithS said:

... So I guess I dont have to worry about discs and pads before it goes in for its MOT then?

I wouldn't say that - I had to have my discs skimmed (much to my surprise and dismay) when the car was quite young.

Posted: Mar 21 2011 By: Titus   Posts: 5307
  5. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

Ive had a failure on the mot in the past with the inner surfaces worn, and they were probably not as bad as yours. If you have a lip at the edge, ie pronounced wear, why not just change the discs and pads?

If the car is lightly used, or put away after washing with wet discs, this will happen. If the discs are not knackered, I would suggest going out and doing lots of braking, then look at them afterwards, especially pre MOT. Modern discs do this, unfortunately.

Try Googling "honest john rusty discs" There is loads of info there.

Posted: Mar 21 2011 By: hunter23   Posts: 80
  6. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

Thats the problem with you Sunday driversSealed

Mine are nothing like that, even when I bought the car???

I would be binning those discs asap!

2006 2.0 Sport, ILM springs, Cosworth filter, Roddisons race pads, exhaust, geo settings, uprated ARB's & moreCool

Posted: Mar 21 2011 By: g40steve   Posts: 657
  7. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

I would say that the polished (shiney) side the pad is make full contact with the disc thus the inner side (pad to disc) is greatly reduced, I would have the disc's measured and if in doute have a brake health check done before your test.

I personally would change the pads and disc's you may find that the MOT garage may want to change the disc and pads in order the can generate some work for them selves, or at the very least give you an advisory to have them done asap.

What mileage has your done how many times have you replaced the pads on the front of the car, manufactures do recommended ratio pads to disc's is uaually 2 set of pads to one disc.

Alan

2010 1.8 Miyako in velocity red mica I'm lovin it. 宮古市.

2003 2.5 sport splash green gone but not forgotton

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Posted: Mar 21 2011 By: alanw   Posts: 430
  8. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

Sorry to say Malith that those discs WILL fail the MoT test. I was an MoT nominated tester for many years until 2007 so I know for a fact that they need replacing. This kind of corrosion is unfortunately all too common these days. Do the work yourself and it needn't be too expensive. Only carry out this work if you are fully competent however, as it is safety critical of course. Good luck and kind regards, Kev.

2010 Mk3.5 1.8 SE Climate                       Soft-top                                         Metropolitan Grey Mica                             Expensive front mudflaps                         

Posted: Mar 22 2011 By: Big Kev   Posts: 113
  9. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. Well the discs were pretty rusty even when we got the car in May last year (24k miles) and its now at around 34k miles. I think the previous owner didnt use it much as it had only done 24k miles in 3.5 years. I think the car has had a set of front pads begining of last year and these have hardly worn. I will order a set of discs and pads and swap them over my self, probably paint the calipers at the same time. I painted the rear a while ago but never got around to do the fronts. I'm thinking of buying a set of Mintex pads for the front with Apec brake discs. Any one used these? Any good?

Thanks,

Malith

Posted: Mar 22 2011 By: MalithS   Posts: 125
  10. RE: Uneven wear on front brake discs

Finally got around to fitting the new discs and pads I recieved last week today. When I took out both discs I was shocked to see the condition of the inner surface of the discs as they were severely pitted. I also found that one of the sliding pins on the nearside caliper carrier braket was seized (due to rubber boot not being fitted correctly) solid and had to find a new carrier bracket from a scrap yard (luckily they had a mk3 and were open today). Also took the chance to paint the calipers as well.

Some photos :

http://img269.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=afteryr.jpg

MalithS

Posted: May 02 2011 By: MalithS   Posts: 125