Topic

By: legsakimbo

gear box, wish it was smoother!

Hi I have a 2010 roadster coup in true red, been really happy with it,

But for one thing the gear box! Not sure if it’s my driving but been pretty disappointed with the performance of the gear change its not as smooth as I think it should be

I’ve had Toyota, Nissan, over the past few years and found all there gear boxes to be pretty good. But I find my mx5 to bit notchy! When changing up or down, I have had the dealer check it out and he say its fine, dose any body feel the same as me?

Cheers and thanks.Smiley two

Replies

1. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

I have an 09 mk3.5 sport tech. I find the shift from first to second takes some TLC when everything is cold but the whole 'box is very slick when up to temperature. My previous car was a Rover-engined Elise though, everything's relative :-)

Posted: Dec 09 2010 By: Gordon   Posts: 17
  2. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

cheers gordon, yes i thought that may be the case, i have only done 3500 mile and still has to run in a bit...lol..Hungry

Content is edited
    Posted: Dec 09 2010 By: legsakimbo   Posts: 12
  3. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

Mine is the same when it's cold....you just take it easy till the oil gets warmed up a bit then it's fine, I changed the oil in the engine, gearbox and diff oil and put semi-synthetic in, I dont think it improved the 'change' but i do think it gives better protection overall, The notchiness is a quirk of the 6 speed....Bloody good car though!Smile

Posted: Dec 09 2010 By: MERI MX5   Posts: 240
  4. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

I have a Mark 2.5 6 speed and have found the gearbox stiff when cold. Takes a few kilometres to free up. My less than ideal gear is 3rd which can be very knotchy especially when cold. I think it is a very precise gearbox and doesn't cope well with sloppy changes. The MPS I have doesn't tolerate sloppy changes either and I have crunched the box a few times when not paying attention.

Brian

Posted: Dec 10 2010 By: Brian   Posts: 711
  5. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

10/12/2010 02:31:02, Brian said:
    "

I have a Mark 2.5 6 speed and have found the gearbox stiff when cold. Takes a few kilometres to free up. My less than ideal gear is 3rd which can be very knotchy especially when cold. I think it is a very precise gearbox and doesn't cope well with sloppy changes. The MPS I have doesn't tolerate sloppy changes either and I have crunched the box a few times when not paying attention.

"

Yup.  Having grown up with front engine, rear-wheel-drive cars (which therefore always had a lovely direct connection between the gearlever and the gearbox) I have never been particularly impressed by the gerarbox on my MX-5.  Even the gearbox on a Morris Minor is better!

In contrast to the smooth, progressive and seemingly almost infinitely powerful brakes, which are absolutley outstanding but rarely get any special mention in road tests.  Likewise most of the other secondary controls (indicators etc.) - delightful feel.  Firm, crisp, smooth and positive - better than any other car I've ever had.

Posted: Dec 10 2010 By: Titus   Posts: 5307
  6. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

Thanks guys for all your replys, it puts my mind at rest ...lol.thought i had a friday built car...

apart from that its great, my manager (ie wife) still thinks the seats are hard...lol...

cheers again. Rog.Smile

Posted: Dec 10 2010 By: legsakimbo   Posts: 12
  7. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

Easily sorted?.....keep the Mx and get a new wife Roger!Laughing

Posted: Dec 10 2010 By: MERI MX5   Posts: 240
  8. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

The gearbox on our old 2.0 Sport (57 reg) was very stiff in the lower gears, especially when it was cold.

Our current one (09 reg) is much better, but still not what I would call smooth. It improves when it warms up, but 1st to 2nd can still be tricky.

It seems to be a characteristic of the six speed box. Both our cars were bought brand new, so we know they weren't mistreated before we had them, and the gearboxes were like that from the beginning.

Posted: Dec 10 2010 By: 3Tau   Posts: 130
  9. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

Mine is a 5-speed.  I'm still not impressed by it, warm or cold.

Posted: Dec 11 2010 By: Titus   Posts: 5307
  10. RE: gear box, wish it was smoother!

I also found my six speed a bit notchy in the low gears when cold. I complained to Mazda but that fell on deaf ears, which is how they deal with any complaint or critism.

When my car had it's second service I had the gearbox oil changed for a lighter gear oil and this sorted the worst of it.  It still feels better when it's hot but I no longer get that really stiff notchy gear change in the low gears when cold.

Posted: Dec 15 2010 By: AndyJo   Posts: 1947