Topic

By: Young Kenny

Mk3 Rust Areas

Prioritized Content is edited

I thought that as the Mk3 is not immune to the tin worm, it might be an idea to log reports of rust on the Mk3 for those of us lucky enough to have some warranty left or for those looking to buy a Mk3. 

If there's enough posts then the Mods could make this a sticky! 

1) Front quarterlight frame

2) Bootlid (spot welds on the underside of the boot lid near the number plate lights)

Any more anyone?

Asking a MX5 driver what he thinks about speed limits is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs

Replies

1. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

Isn't the bootlid made of Aluminium?

Posted: May 17 2010 By: True Red 07   Posts: 64
  2. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

It is on the rag top, not sure about the RC. Fridge magnets at the ready chaps and chapesses.

Steve.

Copper red Sport. Eibachs, Geo set by Pro Grip of Bonnybridge. ILM back box.

And a very happy bunny I am.Cool

And then one day you find 10 years  have got behind you, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Posted: May 17 2010 By: steveti   Posts: 2461
  3. Mk3 Rust Areas

17/05/2010 07:21:59, Young Kenny said:
    "

I thought that as the Mk3 is not immune to the tin worm, it might be an idea to log reports of rust on the Mk3 for those of us lucky enough to have some warranty left or for those looking to buy a Mk3. 

If there's enough posts then the Mods could make this a sticky! "

Yes Sir! Hungry

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not, no explanation will suffice

Posted: May 17 2010 By: dragonsoup   Posts: 3839
  4. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

Slightly more trivial areas: hub and wheel nuts.

Posted: May 18 2010 By: Titus   Posts: 5307
  5. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

Only bonnet is aluminium, the boot lid is steel.

Own a 2001 Green Mazda MX5. Have previously owned a 1990 and 1998 model.

Posted: May 18 2010 By: Brian   Posts: 708
  6. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

The RC bootlid is steel - magnet test proves it.  Rust spots on a 2 year old car!  Shocking.

Asking a MX5 driver what he thinks about speed limits is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs

Posted: May 18 2010 By: Young Kenny   Posts: 2684
  7. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

18/05/2010 01:51:02, Brian said:
    "

"

is it? i, too, thought it was aluminium.
    When i tried to place one of those car Red Noses on, like the bonnet, it slid from the open lid.
    [i didn't intend to keep the nose on i should add. Nothing like causing abrasion on the paintwork
    with one of those things]
    wonder if remember incorrectly
    I shall have to test again.
    Well ~ 'corrosion' still occurs maybe just not rust

"You shall rue this day. Well ... go on... start rueing!"
    NC -  GEOd, Oaker's stickered and de-tangoed ~ partially

Guest Map    << show us where you are(ish) and wave to ALL other 5 owners! It's the MX5 law. A 5 is not just for summer.

Photobucket

Airshows 2010

Posted: May 18 2010 By: VO5 Jo   Posts: 6291
  8. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

18/05/2010 01:51:02, Brian said:
    "

"

The ragtop has an aluminium bootlid, others have said the RC doesn't. Fifth gear review - 1 minute in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYhmYsmrUSs

True Red 2.0 Sport, Larini sports cat, Goodwin Roadster Sport Dual, Eibach springs, WIM'd.

Posted: May 18 2010 By: True Red 07   Posts: 64
  9. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

Inside the rear wheel arches at the front - where the ledge collects mud is nice and orange. Also in the engine bay round the welding for the studs that hold the suspension sub-frames. And virtually anything thats black in the engine bay or underneath - chassis sub-frames, suspension arms, rear drive shafts, etc, etc, etc. After 15k miles and just over 3 years - seems a bit much - the only bits that haven't got rust on underneath are the wishbones and the 'power frame'.........

Cheers Col

NC 2.0 Sport. Cobra back box, Eibach Springs, ILM Cubby Box, RX8 Wiper Stalk, Scanguage 2, Brodit, Soundproofing, Bonnet lifters, Stainless/Silicon/Powdercoat/Col Ally bits, ILM ARB's, Col drop links, Hel Brakelines, etc, etc, blah, rhubarb, poot.

Posted: May 19 2010 By: colk2004   Posts: 208
  10. RE: Mk3 Rust Areas

Yes, I have some rust problems & I want to upload the photo's so you can see them. How do you upload to here, the 'tree' pic in the reply area does not have an upload/browse window.

I am concerned that the OP has had its content edited, big brother Mazda doing there stuff??.

Posted: May 25 2010 By: Noswal   Posts: 174