Topic

By: djrose007

Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

I've read all the bumpf about Total Excellium, and I guess it's the same for the other versions such as Shell V-Power, It's 97 RON as opposed to normal unleaded with is 95 RON. They say the benefits are as follows and wondering if anyone is using it and if benefits are noticeable?

Increased fuel efficiency and engine performance
TOTAL EXCELLIUM increases your engines fuel economy so you'll travel further for longer. (N.B. apparently this is due to the cleaning elements making the engine more efficient)

Reduced emissions
We care about the environment – TOTAL EXCELLIUM can cut carbon dioxide emissions (the gas that adds to the greenhouse effect) by up to 5%*. It also reduces pollutants like carbon monoxide and black smoke by up to 25%.

Cleans and protects engines
Unique detergent molecules work in harmony with your engine, cleaning the most sensitive parts ensuring a smoother ride.

Reduced engine noise
TOTAL EXCELLIUM diesel reduces the noise inside and outside the vehicle by up to 37% when starting up the engine from cold.

Dave Rose - Gloucester / Copper Red 2.0 Sport RC / X007MXS

http://raf-luqa.weebly.com

http://stonehouse-dtc.weebly.com

http://saudi-ex-pats.weebly.com

Jinba ItaiAnimated Gun Barrel

Replies

1. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

Not tried it yet Dave.  I tend to use BP (nectar points) or Shell (Drivers Club points).  I might stick some in and give it a try if I remember!

If I find the git who damaged Mrs YK's Niseko, I'll have their eyes sucked out by a goat and replace them with hot toffee apples.

Posted: Feb 11 2010 By: Young Kenny   Posts: 2684
  2. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

I wonder what the 'magic' ingredients are?  Snake oil possiblly?  Do they say what it is so good in relation to,  third world donkey p1$$ petrol or decent quality 'standard' petorl from the filling stationi down the road?

Posted: Feb 11 2010 By: GDCobra   Posts: 2927
  3. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

I used it once having been caught short. I didn't notice any real difference from the VPower of Ultimate that I usually use so yes I'd try it again

The only garage selling it though around here is mighty expensive so it might be awhile.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not, no explanation will suffice

Posted: Feb 12 2010 By: dragonsoup   Posts: 3839
  4. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

11/02/2010 10:57:58, GDCobra said:

I wonder what the 'magic' ingredients are?  Snake oil possiblly?  Do they say what it is so good in relation to,  third world donkey p1$$ petrol or decent quality 'standard' petorl from the filling stationi down the road?

There's nothing wrong with snake oil  - it works at least as well as the elephant powder I use on my driveway.

However, I believe that the new organic, free-range, GM-free fair trade snake oil is better still, even though it costs more.

(No snakes and no elephants were harmed in the making of this post.) 

Content is edited
    Posted: Feb 12 2010 By: Titus   Posts: 5307
  5. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

12/02/2010 11:49:38, Titus said:
    "

11/02/2010 10:57:58, GDCobra said:

There's nothing wrong with snake oil  - it works at least as well as the elephant powder I use on my driveway.

However, I believe that the new organic, free-range, GM-free fair trade snake oil is better still, even though it costs more.

(No snakes and no elepahnts were harmed in the making of this post.) 

"

GrinnerThumbs up

Posted: Feb 12 2010 By: GDCobra   Posts: 2927
  6. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

I found that using the BP Diesel Ultimate made no real difference in the BMW 120d or the Trusk but I do get better mpg, and smoother power delivery out of the BP Ulitmate Petrol. hense I now only ever use this.

also my mother had a Z3 and when using normal petrol or supermarket fuel it never ran that well, and smelt of fuel. so she to always used the Ulitmate or V Power.

So the Petrol does work for me.  

I want to die in my sleep, like my grandfather..."

"Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Posted: Feb 12 2010 By: James Hoban   Posts: 1215
  7. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

Thanks for the responses, some were useful and some were just great for making me laugh Laughing

They don't specify the additives just 'cleaning agents' to make the engine components more efficient. I found a bit HERE that says Total guarantee an average of 14 mile per tank (up to 30 miles) over normal Unleaded.

HERE it says "Fuel performance additives are used in addition to specification additives. They improve the fuel quality by reducing consumption, engine noise and emissions and keep the engines clean.
    The advantages of these additives are particularly appreciated by drivers using Total Excellium, the new range of fuels available from TOTAL service stations."    Which is about as much use as T!ts on a Fish !

I'm going to give it a go and see if I notice anything. Might be interesting to see the MOT reading on the Emissions.

Dave Rose - Gloucester / Copper Red 2.0 Sport RC / X007MXS

http://raf-luqa.weebly.com

http://stonehouse-dtc.weebly.com

http://saudi-ex-pats.weebly.com

Jinba ItaiAnimated Gun Barrel

Posted: Feb 12 2010 By: djrose007   Posts: 2004
  8. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

Found petrol with garlic bread and a side salad does make a difference of 2 or 3 better MPG but same as others, I found no difference with diesel so if the Green Brigade want me to use it they can reduce the duty to make it worthwhile !

Posted: Feb 18 2010 By: Jules2477   Posts: 989
  9. RE: Excellium Petrol - Anyone Using It?

Don't expect instant improvement, in my experience it takes a few tankfuls to clean up existing deposits and even then you may not notice the improved response unless you really try using the throttle round to the red line.

I wish oil companies would drop the b/s baffles brains marketing with emotive words and start providing industry standard technical performance measurements instead.  The trouble is when something does work the cynics no longer believe it and the gullible believe it because it's the sugar pill effect.

I have used VPower to noticeable effect in both classic and modern cars.

I prefer Shell Vpower which is RON 99 unlike the 97 most other super unleaded brands.  The only other 99 is from Tesco's stations.

If you switch back to normal unleaded you may notice after a tankful it doesn't feel quite as responsive.

The higher octane petrols will benefit higher powered turbo/super charged engines more so than normal 4 cylinders but the benefit of maintaining a clean efficient system is what you are paying for along with slight iprovements in mpg and emissions.  Also a knock sensor will allow the engine to operate at the kind of advance timing for whch the engine was designed and if a lower octane fuel is used regularly the ECU will tend to retard the timing permanently, so it takes a while for the ECU to learn that you are using higher octane fuel again.  Try driving hard (redlining) a good few times to let the ECU figure out the better quality fuel in in use.

Higher Cetane diesels also offer better mpg because they are also more dense than normal diesels.  I use Vpower diesel in the Mazda5 when I can get it but even most diesel extra fuels will be better than standard diesel.  Diesel fuel quality is also much more crucial on modern turbo direct injection engines.

By the way don't confuse UK RON numbers of 95/97/99 with US numbers of 87/89/91/93 as their fuel number rating is a different system and 91 is similar to a 95 whilst 93 is similar to our 97.

Mazda5 & MX5 LE

1969 MGB GT & 1968 MG1300

Posted: Feb 18 2010 By: Martin   Posts: 261